Continuing on from our last blog article, here are some more fantastic female street artists who have made a name for themselves in the niche worldwide. Who is your favorite?
- Bastardilla is a street artist from Colombia, and she protects her anonymity fervently. Her urban art reflects themes of womanhood and female strength. She sends her work with friends who travel the world, and they paste it on her behalf on garages, poles, and in doorways. Her work has been seen from Madrid to Guatemala City and even in Boston.
- Chinagirl Tile is a unique street artist whose ceramic installations appear worldwide. With socially engaging and political themes, she started creating urban art in 2010. Her tiles appear in cities like Berlin, Vienna, London, and in unique places like forests in New Zealand, Croatian beaches, or marshes of the Scottish outer isles. She currently has more than 180 artworks worldwide.
- Boxhead is a Spanish artist whose work is very recognizable. Based in London, Begoña Toledo comes from a family of professional artists, and her inspiration came from her mother’s collection of miniature boxes, as well as her father’s technical drawings and Malfada comics. She exhibits studio work worldwide and creates large scale murals internationally.
- Miss Van is based in Barcelona. French by birth, Vanessa Bensimon was one of the first women in modern street art. Here themes are iconic, including walls of Baroque women wearing furs, pearls, and animal masks. She began street wall painting at age eighteen and is one of the better-known graffiti artists in the world.
- Shamsia Hassani is an Afghani street artist, one of the first women in her country to participate in the art form. Her work reflects the reality of life for women in contemporary Afghanistan. Her symbolism includes women in Burqas and fish, and her work has been exhibited from Norway to Australia.
Over the next few months, we’ll take a closer look at some of these very talented women in the artistic urban landscape…
If you love street art, why not bring some of it into your own life and wardrobe? We have a fantastic, ever-expanding range of unique women’s wallets, men’s wallets, handmade leather belts, leather coin purses, and much more to discover at United Streets of Art. Find us in LA and San Diego, or visit our online store for global shipping.
*All images courtesy of Pinterest